What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, August 23, 2010

Hmmm....waffles....

This book made me hungry! Everything on a Waffle is filled with recipes for all kinds of things, not just waffles. And it is filled with lots of subtle jokes and great characters. It seems to me that Polly Horvath is just one of really talented writers who can take you away to another place and make it so you want to stay there. Even when the characters are having a tough time of it. In this case, our heroine, Primrose, is dealing with the fact that her parents were washed out to sea in a killer of a storm and everyone thinks they are dead.
Primrose doesn't though. While she is living with the uncle she keeps hope alive and believes that one day they will return.
The book has so many funny parts, even though you would think that would be hard to do, with missing parents and all. Primrose's uncle is subtly and not-so-subtly hounded by women because of his very elligible batcheolor status. This makes for some good laughs.
Set in a dying little fishing town in British Columbia, the probably isn't familiar to many, but the book makes you want to live there. I loved this book.
It won a Newbery Honor in 2002. The winner that year was A Single Shard, which I haven't read so I can't do another rant like I did here. But you can bet I'll be investigating!

No comments:

Post a Comment