What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

1954 all over again

We all know what happened in 1954. It was the year that the Academy Awards became a complete joke. I won't even dignify them with a hyperlink. That year Judy was nominated for Best Actress for A Star is Born. For some unknown reason, one that still puzzles even the most brilliant minds of today, Grace Kelly won for The Country Girl. Have you ever seen The Country Girl? All I can say is what I always say, the blow-up doll in Lars and the Real Girl showed more emotion. I am not kidding.
After reading After Tupac and D Foster the whole 1954 disgrace came back to me. After Tupac was named a Newbery Honor Book in 2009. Yeah. An HONOR book which means it didn't with the Newbery. The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman won. Yeah. That's right. Now don't get me wrong, I like the Graveyard but how could anyone, anyone, anyone in their right mind could pick Graveyard over After.
This book is simply beautiful.
I will admit upfront that I love Tupac Shakur. When I Get Free, Changes (which is part of the Vatican's official playlist), Picture Me Rollin....man I could go on and on...his music is pure poetry. To me, Pac and Judy are music. But before you haters start saying that I like After just because it's about Tupac, I dare you to read this book. I dare you to say it didn't deserve the Newbery.

No comments:

Post a Comment