What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Love Ya, Mean It!

Have you ever lost a friend?  I mean really lost one, forever?  Well...no, no one loses a friend forever, because we all know this is true. (AND PLEASE, PLEASE LISTEN TO THIS VERSION!  IT ROCKS IT!) But has a friend ever gone Home to Glory?  It sucks.  It really does.  It doesn't suck for your friend.  But it sucks for those who are left behind.  Just today I met a man who grew up just behind my dear friend Joanie's house.  He remembered her well.  This book is about losing a dear friend. But with complications, a lot of them.  
Elizabeth Scott's Love You Miss You Hate You is the heart-wrenching story of Amy who has lost her best friend, Julia in a car accident and she believes she is responsible for her death. Amy is a binge drinker, she drinks to feel better about herself and to gain courage.  During one of her drunken moments she does something that she feels makes her responsible for the death of Julia.  
I don't want to give much more away, but this is a beautiful and sad novel.  It reminds me too of this song by Billy Joel (even though I am not a Billy Joel fan I do like the song).  Especially the "good old days weren't always good and tomorrow ain't as bad as it seems".
But it wasn't like that for me and Joanie, the good old days were really all that good.  And better, really.  But I know that one day we'll be hanging other again.  This time forever!

No comments:

Post a Comment