What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Things I Never Knew Before...

I could fill a million books with all of the stuff that I never knew before I started this book blog back in January.  Just today I learned about the Hartford Circus Fire of 1944.  What a horrible tragedy.  More than 167 people died, mostly women and children.  This was during the war, and so many men were serving overseas.  Moms took their children to the circus to give them a little bit of joy, while they were missing their fathers.  There have been many books written about the fire, and tonight I read Worlds Afire, a book comprised of poems, each one from the perspective a person who was there during the tragedy.  
It can be a tough read, even though it is very short.  There is the story of one little girl who was never identified and a really neat poem about the people who helped out while all of the horror was taking place.  A very interesting, a sad book.  

No comments:

Post a Comment