What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I think that is one of the worst songs ever.  Ever.  In fact, I will not give it the honor of a link.
The snow is on the ground and it's pretty darn cold outside, so reading Girlfriend Material on a day like today was a little weird. Even though I am not a summer kinda girl, it made me long for warm weather.
GM reminded me a lot of The Summer I Turned Pretty and It's Not Summer without You because of the similar setting, of course, and the romance. GM is a lot less serious, though it does deal with the subject of divorce, but it is no less a good book. Kate, a teen girl who has accompanied her mother from their home in Salt Lake City to Cape Cod for the summer, is a very likable and believable character. Even though she can be a bit tough on her mom, who has decided that she needs to separate from her husband and live with her old college roommate and her husband at their summer home, she is a good kid, with a good heart. Tina and Harry are the couple who own the home on the Cape and they have a teenage daughter, Sarah, who is a year older than Kate. Kate's mom and Sarah's parents expect the two girls to be best friends, but it doesn't look like that's gonna happen from the reception Kate gets when she arrives. Another surprise is the warm reception Kate gets from a hot boy named Adam.
This coming of age at the beach story is a quick and interesting read that doesn't fall into cliches. And, it mentions Judy! So, really, how can this book lose?
I'll be looking for more books from this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment