What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, January 10, 2011

Lizzy Borden

Yes, yes I know the really famous LB spelled her name Lizzie, but the title of this blog refers to these folks.  I am a child of the 80s and my first concert was Iron Maiden.  I've admitted to more embarrassing things.  The Borden Tragedy : a memoir of the infamous double murder at Fall River, Mass., 1892 has a title almost as long as the graphic novel itself.  While I had heard the rhyme, "Lizzie Borden gave her mother, etc, etc." I really didn't know the details of the crime.  I spotted this book on the library shelf and looked at the back where the author/artist had drawn pictures of Lizzie and OJ Simpson and compared the two and I thought, "This looks kinda interesting" and indeed, it was.  Nicely drawn in black and white it is a quick look at the case.  Included in the back of the book are copies of the newspaper articles of the day and a copy of the indictment.   These are kind of hard to read as the print is pretty small and the writing is so different from what we're used to today.  Worth the quick read if you are interested in the case.   Not something to seek out if you have no real interest in the subject.  

No comments:

Post a Comment