What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Hard not to smile

It's Friday.  Good Friday.
Good Friday reminds me of a game I played once with a group of preschoolers.  We were doing a little play-acting, pretending.  I asked them to make a sad face.  A big, big FROWN.  As I looked out on the children, they were so adorable, so cute, I couldn't frown!  I couldn't make myself look sad.  My heart was so full of happiness as I looked at God's loving and little sons and daughters, that even though I was trying very hard to model for them a scowl, a frown, a very sad face, I couldn't!  I said so and the parents and children began to laugh and so did I.
Good Friday I find, is like for me.
On this day we remember the terrible event when our Lord was crucified.  We ask ourselves, like the worlds of the old hymn, "How many times have nailed You up today, under the weight of the wood?"
But still, even amidst our recollection of this dark and terrible day, we remember that Sunday is coming.  That our God could not and would not stay dead.  That death and evil and our sin and the sin of the world, they are not victorious.  God alone is victorious.
Jesus is alive.
We are Easter people because our Lord would not stay dead.
Praise be to our Lord, the RISEN Lord, Jesus, the Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment