What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Absolutely


is the real name of that song that kept running through my head as I read this book.  I don't really know any of the lyrics except for "this is the story of a girl who cried a rive and drown the whole world" but it is a catchy tune.  It's funny because there are big fights on the internet about who recorded the song!  If it was Three Doors Down or Nine Days.  I've also seen it listed at Third Eye Blind.  I think it was either Three Dog Night, the Fifth Dimension or the Four TopsMatchbox 20, maybe.  10,000 Maniacs?  Or .38 Special.
Regardless, Story of a Girl really doesn't have anything to do with the song or these artists.  Well, maybe it does.  I mean...the girl in this book, does cry a lot.  She does have a lot to cry about, actually.  She lives in a world similar to the boys in Angry Young Man.  Deanna is branded the school slut because, back when she was thirteen, her father caught her and a senior, Tommy, inflagrante delicto.  Tommy spreads it all over town that Deanna was the aggressor.  Since the incident, Deanna's father hasn't even looked her in the eye, and that was three years ago.  
This is a short, tightly written book by Sara Zarr who wrote the amazing Once Was Lost.   I am looking forward to my next book by her.

No comments:

Post a Comment