What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

But Now I'm Found

This book is wonderful and real.
As a former full-time pastor, I really could really understand what was going on here. I have always believed that the Roman Catholics have it right when they don't let their priests marry. I know that some men and women pastors and their spouses and kids can handle it...but man...man...it isn't easy.
Sam's father is easy to dislike if you aren't a pastor's kid, a pastor's wife, a pastor's husband, a pastor yourself, or a pastor's mom or dad. Or if you don't believe, as Sam's mom of her pastor husband, "He's only human."
Still though...some of the stuff that Pastor Charlie does are pretty upsetting, even to someone who has been there. Needless to say, this book really makes you think.
Sam is already doubting her faith when a member of their youth group goes missing. That's the main story line but this book is also about faith and hope and finding one's own self. It's about having a mom who is an alcoholic and finding yourself growing apart from your best friend, and finding your family in financial trouble. Man, Once Was Lost is just wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment