What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, May 7, 2011

A Typical Prom or Atypical Prom?

I didn't go to my senior prom and we didn't have junior proms, so I don't really know what a typical prom is like, but I have read a lot of books about proms. The Anti-prom is my latest and I picked it up because I liked the idea of the book being about one night. I like those kind of books. The ones that take place over a short period of time like Nick and Norah. They tend to move quickly and this one did. It was a good read.
The book is told from the three different POVs: Bliss, the ultra-popular chick, Jolene, the bad-girl outcast/juvie delinquent and Meg, the nerd who hangs back in the shadows.
In school the three would never meet. Well, Bliss and her crew would make nasty comments about Jolene and Meg, but would never look upon them as real people. But it's prom night and anything can happen. Lots of things happen on this prom night in this upper-middle class suburb.
Bliss steps out to the limo to get her lipstick and finds her boyfriend and her best friend In flagrante delicto. At that point Bliss asks Jolene for help in getting revenge. Bliss and Jolene, quite the unlikely pair are nearly rundown by Meg as they leave the prom, who has been stood up by her blind-date prom date.
The three are then off on quite the adventure involving the Dairy Queen, breaking and entering, college PJ parties and more.
You can pretty much guess what happens, the girls realize they aren't so different from each other and that they each need to learn something about growing up. But I don't mean that in a bad way...the story is very well told and the characters have depth. A recommended read for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment