What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, May 21, 2011

Wither Like a Fig Tree

This is really difficult passage on which to preach!  I only did it once.  I wish I could find it.  I think it's on my old mac.  All while reading Wither I would think about that fig tree!
I loved this book!  But I didn't like cover.  If you don't read the book, the cover looks like one of those wild romance novels.  This is the first in the Chemical Garden Trilogy and my only sadness is that I will have to wait so long to read the next one.  
We are back to the future again and Rhine (named after the river as she discovers in the book) and her brother Rowan live in a dying world.  New York City to be precise.
Some years ago medical science found genetic answers to most of the troubles in the world.  The "first generation" folks live long, healthy lives...but...now the new generations are dying and dying early.  Men live until the age of twenty-five and women to the age of twenty.
In the darker circles, in the rich circles, tween and teen girls are often kidnapped and sold to be wives to wealthy first gen men or their young sons.  They are meant to have lots of babies, which will be experimented upon so that a cure can be found.
Rhine and two other girls, Jenna and Cecily are chosen to be the bride of Linden Ashby, a young and wimpy man who is clueless about the horrors of the real world.  He is also clueless about the evil doings of his own father, a doctor, who is out to find that miracle cure through his experiments.
Rhine is determined to make her way back to her brother Rowan and to her freedom.  She is determined not to live her last, short years in the prison that is the Ashby mansion.
There's a love triangle of sorts as well, as a house servant named Gabriel helps Rhine and the two of them share hopeful moments.
The book is about 350 pages but it flies by and again, my old regret is that I will have to wait until next year to find out what happens next.  A captivating read!

No comments:

Post a Comment