What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, June 10, 2011

Breaking Your Own Heart

I thought and thought about a song that was about breaking one's own heart.  I'm sure there are lots of them, but I couldn't come up with any at all.  It is such an interesting, yet sorrowful, concept.  Between Here and Forever is the latest from Elizabeth Scott, an author I am coming to love more with each book. 
Between is the story of Abby, a seventeen year old with a twenty year old sister, Tess.  Tess has been the perfect one, always.  The one every guy wanted to date and every girl wanted to be.  Now Tess is in a coma as a result of a car accident on icy roads.  Abby has always lived in her sister's shadow and thought her sister to be perfect.   Abby's self-esteem is pretty much nonexistent.  At first I didn't I thought it was so low, that it was unbelievably low, but then I remembered what it was like to be 17.  I don't remember it all too well, as it was a million years ago, but man...sometimes being 17 is hard.  And I appreciated the fact that Abby seemed like a real 17 year old, not one of the super sophisticated chicks in PLL or Private, etc.
As Abby visits Tess every day in the hospital, she learns more about Tess and herself.  She discovers that Tess had a lot more too her than she thought, for the good and for the not so good.  She also discovers that she has her own needs, maybe, and maybe, she might, maybe, maybe, seek to fill them.  Abby meets a guy name Eli who at first look, is just perfect.  She discovers more about him as well.
Back to the "breaking your own heart" thing.  This isn't talked about in the book, but I wonder,
does it happen all the time?  When we say someone broke my heart, are we really saying that we broke our own?  Or do people have the power to break our hearts.  I had always thought so, now I am not so sure.
Regardless...great book from Ms. Scott.  Recommended, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment