What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

The Shocking News....


Read Bumped by Megan McCafferty and then read this, Thomas Gets Bumped and Other Stories and you'll find out just what television cartoons are teaching our children!  I was speechless.  I didn't even know that Thomas was old enough to be interested in the ladies.
So Bumped has come up in articles and blog posts with Delirium and Matched and Wither, that was how I learned about it.
It took awhile to finally get a copy and at first I couldn't get into it.  But that only lasted four pages.  After that, I was hooked.  I heard the giant sucking sound of me being pulled into a book and Bumped had me.  Dystopia again, but this time, with humor, which I haven't seen before and which I really appreciated.  As much as the future world of Bumped is awful, the characters are multi-dimensional and they have fun like...well, like real people!  Melody and Harmony and twin, separated at birth, now sixteen, living in two very different world.  Melody is a Pro...meaning that she is contracted to professionally "bump" with a another genetically-awesome teen, carry the baby to term and sell it to a couple.  The reason that older couples can't have children of their own is that most of the world has a virus which makes them unable to reproduce after the age of eighteen.  Melody's genes are SO fine that she has landed a big money deal, and at the start of the book she is just waiting for her agent to let her know which pro she'll be bumping with, in order to get that baby for the rich couple who want it.
Harmony is a Church girl, living in Goodside, raised by very conservative Church folks in a community that marries off their children at a young age.  When Harmony discovers that she has a twin, she leaves Goodside for Otherside, to try to convert Melody.
Both girls are more complex than they seem, though and this book raises some great questions about faith and sex and love and the way that society and the media impact all of us.  I loved this book and can't wait until the next.  I can't compare it to the others...but I will say that it was refreshing to find some humor in a dystopian book and that helped to make this book a stand out.

2 comments:

  1. It was good, but two little things bugged me--

    It bothered me that they had crazy technology but didn't have medical technology we've had for decades (artificial insemination). I think there was one line referencing it (saying they weren't able to), but they have other tech stuff that's way past what we have now.

    And the ending--it felt like it ended in the middle of a paragraph! Gah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey...wow! I agree! I mean, I didn't even THINK about that...what was the deal...why can't they do the artificial insemination? Dude! Why?
    And you are right about the end, too...I get kinda sad now that series are so big...like sometimes it seems like an author doesn't pull the end of a book together so that he/she will make the reader buy the next one, you know?

    ReplyDelete