What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Nawlins

 
Lobster listening
to the band.
Recently returned from New Orleans and the ALA Conference.  What an amazing experience.  ALA is quite overwhelming but definitely worth the overwhelming-ness.  There are so many sessions and table talks and exhibits and opportunities to learn and grow.  Going to conferences like this really keeps the fire for service stoked.  I came back with so many ideas and hopes and dreams for our community.  I was inspired by the amazing Lauren Myracle (but was way sad that I didn't talk to her...I really needed to get back to the hotel and mom, who came with me on the trip-- she was SUCH a good sport!), the hilarious and insightful Dan Savage, and the brilliant people at Markham Public Library and so many, many others. New Orleans is a beautiful city and on Friday the conference didn't begin until 4 pm and so my mom and I did a whirlwind tour.  Driving in we were shocked and saddened to the the aftermath of Katrina.  There is still so much suffering, that is clear but the spirit of the city was also clear and there is no doubt that New Orleans is will be better than ever in time.   We stayed at The Frenchmen Hotel near the French Quarter in the Faubourg Marigny section of the city.  Our hotel was lovely.  They provided a free handicapped parking space for us, as my mommy needs a walker/wheelchair to get around.  They were so kind and considerate.  I recommend this place to anyone.  Yes, it is loud at night, but that's because the hotel is right where you want it to be if you are looking for places to listen to live music and/or eat some good food.  Two evenings we ate at Mojitos which is right next door to the hotel.  The staff was excellent.  The food was okay!  The entertainment was wonderful.  New Orleans was way cool!
Here he is again.



Lobster at Mojitos



Lobster at St. Louis Cemetery No. 1

Lobster looking at the shrimp.


Nettie and Lobby @ Mississippi Welcome Center


No comments:

Post a Comment