What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Summer Story

The Summer of Firsts and Lasts is, obviously, another summer book.  It has the most amazing, albeit distracting, cover.  It's the story of summer camp, which I have never gone to actually. Reading this really doesn't make me want to go to summer camp.  I am not the camp type.  I am not the share-a-bathroom type.  I am not the get-out-of-your-comfort-zone type.  Well I don't know...maybe I am now.  But I definitely wasn't when I was in high school.
This is the story of three sister, Calla, Violet and Daisy.  Word or warning, they have lots of nicknames for each other and at times I was confused!
The girls have been going to camp for a long time.  This is Calla's fourth year and she is now working in the office.  She'll be headed off to Smith in the fall.  Violet will be a senior and I think Daisy is going to be a sophomore or junior in the fall.  Calla is UBER CAMP GIRL!  In love with all things camp.  Violet is more the skeptic and borderline rebel, and Daisy is introspective and a bit of a loner.  The three weeks they spend together at camp is full of well, firsts and lasts.  The ending took a turn that I didn't see coming at all.  But it really made the book a success.  First heartbreak, first sexual experience, etc.  It's a long book, more than 400 pages, but it is a good one, especially for summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment