What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

Powerful

Under the Mesquite is a book I couldn't put down and yet I wanted so badly to take my time with it, because I didn't want it to end.  This is Guadalupe Garcia McCall's first YA novel and I see from her website that she is working on a second.  Hooray and Hooray!  Of course NOW I see she was at ALA in New Orleans and I could have gotten my hands on this book even sooner!  Sigh.  I wish I would have the opportunity to tell Ms. McCall how much her story, written in verse, moved me.  Here is a fresh story with a well-developed main character that becomes so real, like a friend, as the book goes on. 
We meet Lupita as a freshman and follow her through graduation.  She is the eldest daughter of a large Mexican American immigrant family, a brilliant writer and a budding actress.  She will also be facing the incredible loss of her mother to cancer.
The love between the members of Lupita's family is incredible.  It's a normal family, with fighting and all that jazz, but they LOVE each other, that is so clear.
I simply loved this book.  It doesn't take long to read and it should be read.  I am looking forward to more from Ms. McCall.  

No comments:

Post a Comment