What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, December 11, 2011

Ancient Egypt is Really Ancient

The Egypt Game is older than I am, which is really saying something. I have seen it around, of course, for ages, but never picked it up to read. For one thing, it won the Newbery and if one is honest, one must admit that most Newbery winners are dreadful and useful only for enhancing sleep, so I know I avoided it at least partly because of the medal on the cover. The other reason I avoided it was the rest of the cover. I've seen a few different covers of TEG and man, BAD. It's like they were competing for the worst cover. Finally, the jacket description just didn't seem to tell enough about the plot and what it did tell seemed to corroborate what the Newbery and the cover were saying, "stay away, unless you are suffering from insomnia." Last week though, I was dying for a book on CD. The only thing around was TEG. Half way through the first CD I was hooked totally. I was glad then, that the jacket description didn't give away much of the plot because I was just loving the way that the book flowed. I was, right away, loving the characters and the game that they played in the little area behind an old junk shop where a mysterious man worked and lurked. I want to be like the book jacket and not give any more away, because the story is just so wonderfully woven, that you'll want to just see it unfold for yourself, like I did. When it's over, you'll wish it wasn't. There is a sequel called The Gypsy Game, and I am looking forward to reading that soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment