What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Alone Together - The Robotic Pet

I am still in the introduction portion of Alone Together, but there's so much here!
Right now I need to talk about a part that made me a little mad.
Turkle interviews an old woman in a nursing home who is completely alone. She's had a big fight with her son, no one comes to visit her. Her friends have all passed away and so she's on her own.
What she does have, however, is Paro, a smart robotic harp seal. She takes him everywhere. He responds to her touch and her responses to him. Turkle readily admits that she gets comfort from this robot seal.
Turkle thinks that is terrible. She says that it would be therapeutic if the seal were a real person. She says she doesn't know if real animals can intuit a person's feelings, but she knows that this robot seal really can't.
So I am left thinking, what would Turkle have us do? Take the robot seal away lest this little old lady have nothing at all to comfort her? Is Turkle going to come and visit the lady every day? Well, Turkle is a therapist! Maybe she will! (for the right price, and if her insurance is good).
I guess I just don't understand the harm. It seems that it would be far more harmful for the lady to be without Paro. Unless of course, Turkle is planning on volunteering her time to take Paro's place and some, "profound theraputic potential" to use Turkle's words. Maybe she is! Maybe she is there now!

No comments:

Post a Comment