What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Learning from Lies

Man...wouldn't it be awesome if everyone learned that lies can only cause trouble? Liar, Liar is the first in the Kevin series by Gary Paulsen. I think it is clear by now that I am SERIOUSLY feeling the love for Mr. Paulsen. I have come a long way from my first Paulsen and even from the second Kevin book, Flat Broke.
Paulsen has become one of my favorite authors.
Kevin battled his greed in Flat and in Liar, Liar he battles his "gift" for lying. He's just so darn good at it. And he wants to be liked and so he just tells folks what he knows they want to hear and he lies to try to build a perfect situation for himself. In this case, he wants to get himself closer to Tina, whom he loves from afar. In the end he discovers lying isn't the way to go, but this isn't a preachy book. Kevin is likable and funny and you can't help but cheer for him.

No comments:

Post a Comment