What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Wow.

Okay. Let me confess that I have never made it through an adult Harlan Coben book. People have always said, "If you like Parker, Woods, Sandford, Block, etc. you'll love Harlan Coben." Na. He writes too much about love and feelings and that's not what I'm looking for in a mystery. Still I gave Shelter a chance.
What a mistake. It is ironic that last year, right around this time I read this piece of garbage by another greedy best-selling adult author.
This is book is just bad, bad, bad.
First of all there is Coben's thoughtless use of the racist term "white slavery." Yes, yes we all know what it means technically, but we also all know that it is known far and wide as a term of extreme racial offense. As if slavery wasn't so bad until it involved "white" people. Sickening. Sickening that none of Coben's editors wouldn't pick up on this. It was hard to get through the book with that term popping up all over the place.
There are dozens of other things wrong with this book, but I don't want to waste anymore time on it. What a piece of trash.

No comments:

Post a Comment