What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 6, 2012

I Held My Breath

After I finished the beautiful Reaching for Sun, I realized that I had been holding my breath during much of it. Had the book ended in a different way, I would be writing a very different review. But this book was breath-taking from start to finish. It was heart-breaking, too, but also another -'d word, hope-filled. I had to read this for my ALA class and I am so glad because I don't know if I would have found it otherwise.
Josie is in the 7th grade and has always been different from others. She has cerebral palsy and the kids in her school have never been nice about her "differentness" so Josie just stays to herself.
Then she meets Jordan a guy who his different in his own way. He's younger and a lot smarter than the kids in his grade and he gets picked on because of it. The two become fast friends.
This story is written in verse and it truly, totally beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment