What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, February 12, 2012

"If you can love the whole person

the body, heart and soul, you can be a good mortician." page 44 of Putting Makeup on Dead People, a wonderful, refreshing book by Pittsburgh native Jen Violi. Ms. Violi attended the University of Dayton where my friend Nick is a sophomore. The book is set in Dayton and the main character is Donna, who is a senior in high school when the book begins. Donna is still hurting from the loss of her father to cancer at age 14. She hasn't been able to get over his death, which is quite understandable. She has kind of frozen over and isolated herself.
She has been accepted to UD but then decides that maybe she has another calling, a calling to mortuary school. Something I myself have considered. She talks to the funeral directors who hire her part-time.
Donna has a lot to work out. She has questions about God, herself, life, death, her relationships.
This book is just so well done and doesn't fall into any stereotype traps. Wonderful book. Looking forward to more from Ms. Violi.

No comments:

Post a Comment