What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rules are Rules

I've heard that a lot of places before but I don't know if it has an origin or it is just one of those things that everyone says, like, "You know what they say."
The last book I had to read for my class was Cynthia Lord's Rules.
Catherine is twelve years old and has a younger brother with autism. The the title of the book refers to the rules that she helps her brother learn as well as the rules that she makes for herself, to help them both navigate in the world. From "No toys in the fish tank." to "Solving one problem can create another." they are pretty good rules for everyone. She also has two guinea pigs, Nutmeg and Cinnamon and I remember starting to listen to this book years ago, but not finishing it because I was afraid that something terrible was going to happen to one of them. But nothing does. I guess that's a spoiler, but I think that it is one that people will appreciate.
I liked this book, but I didn't love-love it. I am not sure why. I think it was honest and true and the characters were great. I did REALLY dislike Catherine's new neighbor though. Catherine hopes that the new girl her age, who has just moved in across the street will be a good friend to her. Turns out she is more like Nancy Wheeler from the horrible Pre-Teen Sensations. The only thing that keeps Catherine's new neighbor from being able to join Margaret Manson and her gang of devil worshiping friends is that we get learn that she is upset over her parents' separation. She isn't just some rotten broad like those four dolts.
Catherine's story is a love story of sorts because love stories don't have to be the traditional kind. It is a love story between a brother and a sister. Catherine really loves her brother, but he is hard to live with sometimes. She feels guilty for considering her life with him to be difficult, knowing that his life is rough, too.
Catherine meets Jason, a young boy about her age at her brother's OT clinic and the two begin a relationship. Jason is in a wheelchair and can't speak, but uses a communication book to communicate. Catherine draws more words for his book.
This is a book great for discussion, full of depth, yet simple, but not in a bad way. I'm glad I read it. And glad the guinea pigs didn't die!

No comments:

Post a Comment