What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

A Thing of Beauty

So was looking on goodreads and saw that Beauty Queens doesn't have all that high of a rating. This totally blows me away. Why? This book is truly different, truly hilarious and smart. It made the Amelia Bloomer Project List this year, too. I've never read a Libba Bray book and I was hesitant to read this because I was worried it was an "I hate guys" kinda book. And I Enjoy Being a Girl (best version of song...EVER)! Recently I have learned though, at the ripe age for 40, that you don't have to hate men to be a feminist. I'm an old dog though and it is hard to learn new tricks, so I am learning, learning, learning that there is nothing bad about being a feminist. Growing up too late for the Women's Lib thing, I guess I thought all feminists were man-haters. I was simply uneducated and I am so thankful to my friend Kelly R. for setting me straight. Probably every other woman in the world knows this, but I'm only recently coming to understand that you CAN enjoy being a girl and love men and still consider yourself to be a feminist.
Beauty Queens is the story of a Miss Team Dream. The pageant made possible by The Corporation (a huge company that owns a million products and tv shows and record labels, etc. The 50 contestants are on their way to an exotic locale for a photo shoot when their plane goes down on a deserted island. They must survive not only the perils of the island, like giant people-eating snakes, but also a LOT of bad characters who aren't so ready to come to their rescue.
Excellent, smart book! Loved it!

No comments:

Post a Comment