What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 12, 2012

Wishing for a Layover

Night Flying is only 144 pages. But it feels like it is a lot longer. I must be fair, I listened to the book and man...the woman who read it, she is like a slow drip of dilaudid. I only know about dilaudid because I had kidney stones and a gallbladder that went gangrenous, I just need to say that. Alexandra O'Karma read it and she also did Ariel which now I wonder if maybe I might have liked that book better, too, had I read it instead. I don't know though and do feel bad because I never will know because there is NO WAY I am going to pick this baby up again, in any format.
Not to say it was terrible. It wasn't terrible. I liked some of it and it would have been a good short story.
The deal is that Georgia can fly. All of the women in her family can fly. Georgia has been flying since she was little, but never alone. Now that she is approaching her sixteenth birthday, she is getting ready to take her first solo flight. The only thing is the whole family, Georgia, her mom and her two aunts are pretty much powerless to do anything that Grandmother doesn't approve of. Grandma makes the rules, or passes down the rules from other Grandmas. Georgia does have one renegade aunt, Carmen, who dares to fly in the daytime and lives in California instead of with Grandmother and the Gang in Vermont.
This is a coming-of-age tale as Georgia finds her own voice (and wings!) and finds out more about her past and her future. It sounds lovely doesn't it? And it is, but it is just really, really long. I also think that the book is supposed to have some humor in it, but the reader on the audio cd makes everything sound like a Georgia is marching off to a horrible, nasty, painful death, so any bit of humor or pleasure that can be found in the story is sucked away by the sad, sad, narration.

No comments:

Post a Comment