What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Cause Your a Legend in Your Own Time

Man I haven't thought about this song in a long time.  It's a great one.  Legend isn't great.  It isn't bad.  I listened to it as I waited for my audio cd of Robert B. Parker's Lullaby to come in at the library.  It's the first in a new series by the same name.  A dystopian deal where the US is now a very nasty place.
The Republic rules the western coast of the country, their leader has been elected to his eleventh consecutive four-year term.  Rich, smart kids work for the Republic, the smartest of them is a teen named June.  The poor people are well, poor, and a group of rebels is, well, rebelling, against the Republic.
June's is told by the Republic that her loving brother has been killed by the Republic's number one enemy, a teen boy named Day.  Day and June meet and don't know who the other is.  They fall for each other.  Bad things happen.  The book could be a tween book, as the concepts are really easy to follow and the writing is tweenish, too, except there's a lot of violence.  A tween who has no trouble with tons of violence wouldn't be shocked I guess.  There were, of course, a lot of similarities to The Hunger Games.  Even an evil version of Haymitch and a boy with a name that sounds like a girl's, like Gale!  It was a decent book, I don't mean to rip on it so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment