What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Bitterblue

Doesn't Bitterblue sound like one of those death songs from the 1950s and 60s?  Like Teen Angel or Last Kiss or Seasons in the Sun (well that was the 70s, but you get the idea).  I kept thinking of Poor Butterfly.  Or Wildfire.  Which is really terrible because the horse and the girl die.
Bitterblue is the third book in the Graceling Realm series, which I thought was called the Seven Kingdoms series, but it isn't.  I don't know if it ever was or if that was just something someone made up.
I loved Graceling.  And I loved Fire.
I don't know how I feel about Bitterblue, so that's why I am doing the whole "blog as I go" thing.  It is taking me a long time to get through it, but not because it is bad.  It isn't.  It is charming and funny so far.
There is a lot of humor in this book, showing what a great writer Ms. Cashore really is.  She can write it all.  I love the librarian, Death (pronounced like Teeth, but you get the idea and he fits it).
So now I have finished Bitterblue and I am so sad that it is over.  Opening this book was truly like escaping into the world of the Seven Kingdoms.  I could get totally lost in it, which is hard for me today because fantasy isn't really my thing.  So much to think about.  There is a lot of humor in this book, but it gets darker and darker as you read on.  The crimes of Leck are truly horrific.  There were times when I had to catch my breath.  This might be a little hard to get into, but man, it is so worth it.  I had to give it the 5 stars on goodreads.com.  Fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment