What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Gimme a Facebook Account

The Future of Us is a very serious title!  That really is neither here nor there.  I needed something to listen to and this was a new audiobook at the library.  The narrators were great.  It was also my first book by very popular authors Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler.  I really enjoyed both of their writing styles and now I will go on to read other books from them.  I always feel that one sign of a good book is that if you still enjoy the book while disliking one or more of the main characters, and that was the case with this one.  I liked Josh but really didn't like Emma.
TFOU is the story of Emma and Josh in 1996, who get a free disk from America Online.  I was trying to explain this to a kid born in 1998 and it was hard to do so!  How to you even explain a "disk!"  I totally remember getting my free disk and putting it into my Mac Performa 460.  It was awesome!  My first email address, my first online romance (We did end up meeting in person, totally nice guy, I was just so hung up on an old boyfriend that it didn't work out.  Ironically, if you think about this book, I am now Facebook friends with him!)
When Emma and Josh log on, however, they get more than an email address and the chance to IM.  They tap into something they have never heard of before, something no one had never heard of in 1996, Facebook.  Emma's Facebook page shows her what her life will be like in 16 years.
Emma and Josh start to play with the present to see how it will impact their future.  You can see the thematic similarities between this and Gimme a Call, which I loved, but TFOU is more serious.  Really good book.  Oh yeah!  And this book also reminded me of how hard it was to get a Facebook account, back in the day!  Remember when your school or business had to be a participant?  The old days!

No comments:

Post a Comment