What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Amish Vampires!


I haven't read a book like The Hallowed Ones before, and that is saying something.  I couldn't put it down and now I hope there is a sequel.  This is a dystopian/paranormal story, but it is unlike any other.  Set in Amish country, it is told from the POV of a teen girl who is about to go on Rumspringa but all of that is called off, as the rest of the world has been overrun with vampires.  The Elders in Katie's community say that no one goes out of the community and no one comes in, while the disaster is taking place, but Katie sees a wounded young man on the edge of the fence and hides him a barn, nursing him back to health.  
Katie's character is strong and smart and easily likable.  It is really interesting to learn about the Amish community AND be terrified by red-eyed, undead, blood-suckers at the same time.  This is a coming of age story in a messed up world and is one of the most different and compelling stories I have read this year.   

No comments:

Post a Comment