What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, December 27, 2012

Clint Eastwood

So I never really liked Clint Eastwood.  I mean, he is hot and everything, but I just never really liked him.  I especially didn't like like him after the ridiculous stunt he pulled at the Republican National Convention.  The anti-veteran ticket of Romney-Ryan was so ridiculous that anyone affiliated with it, really dropped in my estimation.  I guess that a Dirty Harry kind of guy would be anti-veteran, maybe.  I am not sure.  I don't know much about Dirty Harry.   It just surprised me that a guy who really likes the patriot image could support an unpatriotic candidate like that Ryan who wants veterans benefits to be cut.  So Clint Eastwood truly is an unpatriotic, anti-veteran cartoon.
Once upon a time I loved Michael Connelly's Harry Bosch.  I loved that he was named after one of my favorite painters.  I loved everything about him.
But then Clint Eastwood ruined it for me.  He was in the movie Blood Work.  And he was so awful and wooden and way too old to play the main character.  And the book was written by Connelly.  And so in my mind I tie up Harry Bosch with Terry McCaleb.  Which is ridiculous I know.  But I have tied Connelly and Eastwood so tightly in my little mind that I just can't even read a Bosch book without thinking of the comedian Clint Eastwood and his dislike of veterans.
So going into Suicide Run, the book already had that against it.
Also going against it was that this week I had just finished another short story by Lawrence Block and one by Brian Freeman.  I love Freeman and Block and Jonathan Stride is way cooler than Bosch.  And even Keller, though a killer and bad dude, is way cooler than Bosch as well.
But over all, these were good stories.  They were just good, not awesome, but then again, remember what this book was up against! 

No comments:

Post a Comment