What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Angels

Just finished Freakboy by Kristin Elizabeth Clark and I wish I could thank the author for her character, Angel.  Angel is a young woman who was born in a boy's body.  And she is a Christian.  And she isn't embarrassed about being a Christian.  And the church she attends actually follows that Guy, you know the One...the Savior, Jesus Christ, who taught us to LOVE one another.  What a realistic and refreshing portrait of many Christians and many churches out there who are trying to right the wrongs of evil done in the name of the Lord.  I loved the character of Angel who wasn't ashamed to praise God.
But this story is mainly the story of Brendan, a high school wrestler with a girlfriend whom he loves.  Brendan, however, believes that he is also trapped inside a body that doesn't reflect who he is inside.  This is this is mainly very real and painful, heart-breaking, yet hopeful story of his struggle.
What a great book.  What a brave book.  Most cool.  As a straight woman, born a woman, in a woman's body, I can't put myself in the place of Brendan with ease, so I can't fully understand his pain and suffering, but I was touched by this brave story and I applaud the author all the way around.  Thank you for not taking the easy route and ripping on Christians.

No comments:

Post a Comment