What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

The Chosen

I saw on goodreads.com that someone said this book sounds too much like The Forest of Hands and Teeth.  I have no idea where that thought came from.  Gated isn't anything like The Forest of Hands and Teeth.  Not at all.  This is realistic fiction here.  It's one of those "ripped from the headlines" deals that referes to Waco and Jonestown and Heaven's Gate.  It was a great book and I loved, loved, loved that it wasn't a big rip on Christianity.  This was a true caught-in-a-cult story, and I appreciated its truthfulness.  No no one was ripped on or made to seem stupid.  It all was very respectful, even of those who were realed in by "the Pioneer," the leader of the cult who promised to keep everyone safe from the end of the world.  Lyla's family has a lot to be sad about and fearful of.  Her sister Karen was kidnapped as a young child, her family lived in NYC during 9-11.  It is easy to see why a safe, supposedly utopian society would be appealing to her parents.  But as Lyla grows older and as the "end" approaches, she begins to question.  Questioning isn't big in their little commune.  Great story.  A great heroine and very respectfully done.

No comments:

Post a Comment