What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, May 13, 2013

The Good Old Days Weren't Always Good

and today isn't as good as it should be, if you are a gay man or woman.  There is still so much prejudice and hate.  This is yet another reason why if a genie offered me three wishes, my first wish would be that all would know the true love of God.  If everyone knew God's true words and Christ's teachings of love, there would be no hatred for anyone- especially hatred for gay folks, whose only "crime" is loving someone of the same sex!  It all so bizarre to me.  To think that loving could be wrong?  Really?  Really?  To judge someone because they love someone? 
When Love Comes to Town is a tough story of a young man, just graduated from what would be high school here in the US, dealing with coming out.  The book takes place in 1990, so I would hope that it is better for teens who are gay, but I know it isn't as good as it should be.  Neil lives in Dublin and has some homophobic buddies, of course, the kind who sling around hateful words for gay men.  He is sure that will be rejected if he tells the truth about who he is, yet, he knows he must.  It's a new edition, so it works as a historical piece and also it has current appeal, because who knows how many young people are dealing with the worry that they won't be loved, if they tell the truth about whom they love. 
Great book, I will buy it for sure for the library.  Personally, I am a goof and so any book set in any place other than the US is a little tough for me to love completely, so I gave it 4 of 5 stars on goodreads, instead of the full 5.  Definitely recommend it though.  And will continue to pray that one day...one day, we will all remember that it isn't WHOM we love, its THAT we love, which is important!

No comments:

Post a Comment