What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Who Knew?


About the Pagoda in Reading, PA?  Probably a lot of people, but I didn't.  And I am kinda embarrassed, but I will admit it anyway.  Next time I am in Reading, I am for sure going to check it out.  It will be out of respect to one of best books I've read in a long time, Please Ignore Vera Dietz.  It is written by A.S. King who wrote Ask the Passengers, which I also loved.  Right now I can't find the video I saw that King made about her books, but I have to say, it was pretty awesome and I will look for this author, always.
I listened to this book and while the reading was very good, I found the narrator's tone to be pretty snarky and I didn't get the sense that Vera is a snarky girl.  I absolutely loved the father-daughter relationship in this book.  Vera's dad is a great dad.  Vera's best friend and love of her life is dead and his death was under pretty awful circumstances and Vera knows information that can clear his reputation, but she isn't ready to give it up because she is still angry at him for dying and for dissing her before his death.  Great book, truly.  Very well done and great characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment