What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Music is My Life

While I have made fun of books that make music out to be some kind of magical savior, I admit that my doubt just comes from not being a music-obsessed kinda person.  When I saw the title This Song Will Save Your Life, I thought I wouldn't like it all that much.  It just goes to prove again though, that you can't judge a book by its cover or its title.  This Song Will Save Your Life was simply a great story.  One that I can easily recommend to the millions of music-obsessed folks and even to those few who aren't nuts about tunes. 
Elise Dembowski is a very real character.  An outcast in school, trying to fit in, trying to find her place in this world and she happens to find it, through music.  She's not a music maker, but a DJ it turns out.  Great look into the world of secret dance parties and DJ'ing.  An honest look at high school and how tough it is to fit in sometimes.  Sales avoids predictability and she keeps the story moving.  Just when I thought "oh here is what is going to happen now...blah..blah...same old stuff...,"  Sales avoids making the book into a cliché.  Very glad to have this from netgalley.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment