What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Learn Something New Every Day

After I read School Story by Andrew Clements I was looking at the reviews in various places and came across the comment that the book in the book is a Mary Sue.  What is a Mary Sue?  Maybe you know, but I didn't.  Apparently a Mary Sue is a character who is just so amazing and over the top wonderful that she brings down the whole plausibility of the book. 
School Story is the story of two friends, Natalie and Zoe who set out to get Natalie's book published.  Natalie and Zoe are normal girls with realistic personalities, but according to some, the book that Natalie has written is a Mary Sue.  I don't know if I agree or not.  Some books really are great.  Natalie is only a bit younger than S.E. Hinton was when she wrote The Outsiders
Every time I read another Andrew Clements book, I like him more.

No comments:

Post a Comment