What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Friday, July 12, 2013

Many Thoughts...

While I was reading New Zapata on my iphone a text message from CNN came in saying that Texas may be close to passing some very strick abortion laws as soon as next week.
In New Zapata, the year is 2052 and Texas is no longer part of the United States of America, it is its own country, the Republic of Texas.  In the R of T abortion is illegal, as is divorce.  The story is told through the eyes of Rebecca, who is married to Chad.  They had to get married when Rebecca became pregnant as a teen.  When Rebecca had her baby, Luke, she nearly died.  Her own mother is in a coma, has been since she gave birth to her.  Rebecca could have ended up the same way when she had Luke, but she made it and was told never to have children again.  The thing is, birth control is also illegal in the R of T.  And so Chad and Rebecca don't have sex anymore, until Chad can't hold back any longer and rapes Rebecca, getting her pregnant again.  Rebecca can file for an exemption, an abortion because her life would be at stake if she had a child.  But these are rarely granted and they only have a possibility of being granted if the husband agrees.  Chad won't.  Rebecca finds help in her aunt, her best friend, Bonnie and a group of women who belong to a secret group.
The book is more balanced than you might think.  There is a lot of discussion here.  When does the soul enter the body, what is right and what is wrong, that kind of thing.  It isn't a pro-abortion rant at all.  It really makes you think.  I downloaded it because Teri Hall wrote The Line and Away and I was wondering when the third book is due out.  I still don't know, but I guess it will be soon!

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for reading New Zapata, and thank you for this post. I don't know you, but I feel so gratified that you are a reader. Thank you for spreading the word on New Zapata.

    And FYI, The Island (third in The Line trilogy) will be out by the end of the year! You can see the cover on my Facebook page! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I feel totally honored that you would take the time to write on my blog! Wow! Thank you for sharing your talents with the world! Will there be a sequel to New Zapata? It has been a couple days since I read it and I can't get the characters out of my head! What will happen to Bonnie? Aunt Cathy? Mavis? Oh and I love the Sherif! Thank you so much for writing! I am looking forward to The Island!!

    ReplyDelete