What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, July 9, 2013

Dude, Can I Borrow a Frindle?

A few years ago, a neat patron at one of the libraries where I work asked if she could borrow a frindle.  She then explained what a frindle was as she told me about the book by the same name.  Well for some reason I forgot all about that.  And I continued to judge the book by its cover, even though I never realized that the kids on the cover are holding what used to be known as a pen and is now known as a frindle (in the world of this book, anyway) and I thought that Frindle was some kind of hobbit or other weird thing that Harry Potter-like or elfin, or a million other things that would totally not interest me.  Finally I got around to actually reading Frindle and I am glad that I did.  Again another realistic fiction by Andrew Clements that I really enjoyed. 
Nick is a smart kid and he has a lot of good ideas.  His fifth grade teacher is obsessed with language and she really tries to focus on vocabulary.  When Nick asks a question about how words come to be and his teacher tells him that it is all of us who have created words, Nick sets out to rename the object we have come to know as "pen" as the word "frindle."  It really catches on!  There is trouble, but there is also triumph and lessons to be learned.  Good stuff. 

No comments:

Post a Comment