What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Sunday, July 7, 2013

Terrible Cover

Bud, Not Buddy was one of those books that I stayed away from for years because of the dreadful cover.  And yet again, I have come to see that there is something behind the whole "don't judge a book by its cover" thing.  What a great story.  I was working and recommended The Mighty Miss Malone to a patron, the manager of the Penguin Book Shop and a lovely young lady I knew when she was a little girl attending the church I pastored.  She told me that Deza Malone had a small part in Bud, Not Buddy and man, that was all it took!  Christopher Paul Curtis is fantastic!  I can't wait to read more of his books.  It is hard to believe that a book this good actually won a Newbery!  You just never know! 
I listened to the book and at the end there is a message from the author and his daughter, who wrote a little song that is included. "Mama Says No" is a HILARIOUS song and I bet that Cydney McKinsie Curtis will be writing awesome books soon, just like her dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment