What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, November 9, 2013

Something Special

Okay for Now as a book that I tried to read many times before but I just couldn't get into it.  This time I had to read it for work and I was dreading it so much because of all of my failed attempts.  Once I made it through the first chapter, however, I fell in love with Doug and the whole book.  It is set in the tiny town of Marysvile, NY in 1968 and 1969.  Doug is the youngest son of a sweet mom and an abusive dad.  He also has two older brothers, one at war in Vietnam and another a trouble maker who reminded me a lot of the older brother in Troublemaker.  There is just so much in this book.  It is about families and growing up and finding yourself and it is very much about the times in which the book is set.  A fantastic story.

No comments:

Post a Comment