What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, January 25, 2014

Award time!

Yes it is award season!  No, I am not talking about the Golden Globes, or the SAG Awards or the Grammy's, I am talking about the ALA Book and Media Awards!  I've been to ALA Midwinter before, but not last year and not this year.  Maybe next year.  The Book and Media awards are always exciting.  But you know how I feel about awards in general.  We'll see what happens this year.  My predictions are always wrong, but that won't stop me.  I think that The Boy on the Porch will win and deserves the Newbery.  And I think that The Dark deserves, but won't win the Caldecott.  I think that Eleanor and Park should win and deserves the Printz.  I like this article from School Library journal and I have to say that The Year of Billy Miller and Doll Bones were awesome.  Read what she has to say about One Crazy Summer.  That was 1954 for sure.  As the author says, the fact that it didn't get the gold still makes me angry!  So when I reflect back on One Crazy Summer,  and After Tupac and D Foster, all of these predictions seem pointless!
Wait!  Wait!  Wait!  There is only one book that really deserves the Caldecott and that is Nelson Mandela by Kadir Nelson.  I forgot that it came out in 2013.  It came out right in January.  There is no way it will win though.  But it should.

No comments:

Post a Comment