What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Mistakes Were Made

I would have given Help for the Haunted five stars for sure.   There was just that problem that I have discussed before, the lack of research done on the religious aspects of the book.
The story is told from the POV of young teen, Sylvie, the youngest daughter of the infamous Masons.  The Masons are a fiction couple, kind of like the Warrens.  Their eldest daughter, Rose, is the trouble-maker and Sylvie is "good daughter" and a very sympathetic character.  The story begins with Mr. and Mrs. Mason being gunned down in a church.  The man who is in prison, awaiting trial is the father of one of the troubled souls that the Masons tried to help.  The book goes back and forth from the past to present day.  It is a big book for me, but I my attention was kept the whole time.  I checked out the ebook, but then ended up buying the audio so that I could go even faster through it, it was just that compelling.  Still, I get bugged by the little things...like the Masons using the KJV, but being Roman Catholics.  Like Mrs. Mason always signing We Gather Together, which is strongly Calvinistic and in fact, "the wicked oppressing" refers  Roman Catholics!   These errors were cost a star for me.  I mean, wasn't there one editor who could have caught this?  Because otherwise, this is an awesome book.

No comments:

Post a Comment