What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, January 20, 2014

Mrs. Spinelli?


There has been rumor that Jerry Spinelli has written about his wife, Eileen, in the books Stargirl and Love, Stargirl.   I have only met the Spinelli's once, but I would have to say that they lovely, lovely people and indeed, I can see Mrs. Spinelli being the inspiration for Stargirl.  She is one of those truly magical people.  Stargirl is the story of a teenage girl who takes an average high school by storm, with her charm, love, generosity and purity.  It is told from the POV of Leo who is one of the crowd.  Just a normal guy, who learns to see the beauty in the ordinary through Stargirl.
Love, Stargirl is Stargirl's own story, written during the year after Stargirl.
There were complaints that the second book wasn't as good as the first.  That it took away some of the magic that was Stargirl, herself.  But I think that Love, Stargirl made Stargirl more real.  It made sense to me.  And it made the way that Stargirl acts seem more attainable.  Because everyone should try to be a Stargirl.  There's even a a Stargirl Society, which I think I would love to start around here!

No comments:

Post a Comment