What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, January 20, 2014

What a Mess

Criminal the book isn't a mess.  But Nikki's life is.  I think about how lucky I am to have been born into a family unlike Nikki's.  My growing up wasn't perfect, no one's life is perfect.  But so many people have so much to overcome.  Nikki's mom is a drug addicted woman who really never took care of her.  She's been in and out of jail.  Nikki's dad was never in the picture, Nikki's stepdad is in prison.  Nikki gets hooked up with an abusive gang member, Dee, who uses her as his get away driver in a murder.  Now Nikki is a criminal, too.  Told from Nikki's POV, again, it is hard not to have sympathy for this girl who has made so many horrible choices.  McVoy can seriously write.  I liked that the ending was up in the air, but not totally up in the air.  It was satisfying.  What a struggle.  I pray for all those who are like Nikki and for those who are victims of people like Nikki as well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment