What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Monday, February 3, 2014

Mockingbirds

One of the best books I read last year was Sure Signs of Crazy, in which Harper Lee's classic, To Kill a Mockingbird plays a major role in the life of the main character.   Because I had such a great affection for Sure Signs, I was attracted to I Kill the Mockingbird.  Also, the cover is pretty fantastic.  I got the eARC from netgalley and for that I am most grateful.
I Kill the Mockingbird was a very different book.  Very original.  I'm not entirely sure I caught all of the meaning in it, but I am entirely sure I enjoyed it.
The main character, Lucy, is heading into high school, along with her best friends Elena and Michael.  Inspired by their recently deceased teacher, the three of them decide to experiment with summer reading.  They decide to hide as many copies of To Kill a Mockingbird as possible.  To create some buzz, to start something new, to inspire people to read the book, to become literary terrorists, I am not entirely sure why.  But it is all very captivating and different and cool and new.
There's so much more to this book, also.  Lucy's mom has just had an awful battle with cancer and has survived.  Lucy and Michael are testing the waters as far as what it means to move from friends to "more than friends" and all of them are concerned about moving from middle school to high school in the fall.
A beautiful, sweet little book.   Highly recommended.

No comments:

Post a Comment