What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, February 8, 2014

Powerful Read

The Truth about Alice is one of best books I have read in a long time.  It takes place in a small town in Texas, but it could take place anywhere.  Its due out later this year and tells the story of power of rumor.
Alice Franklin was never one of the super popular girls in school, but she had friends and boyfriends, too.  One night after a party given by the most popular girl in school, Elaine, the most popular guy in school, Brandon, tells everyone that Alice slept with him and a college student on the same evening.  Alice becomes the school slut, but it gets much worse.  Brandon is killed in a car accident a few days later and now that he is gone everyone blames Alice for this death.  She is made a complete outcast.
The book is told from the POV of Elaine, Kelsie, Kurt, a shy kid with no social standing, Alice's former friend and Josh who was Brandon's best friend.  A really tough but great book.  The characters are real even and not stereotypical even though there is the whole super popular guy, super popular girl, nerd guy, side-kick going on.  I really like what Elaine has to say about wanting to stay in her whom town.  "Despite how odd this year has been in many ways, the thing is, I like it here and I don't ever want to leave.  I want to go to UT and then marry a guy who wants to stay in Healy forever and I want him to take over the business from my dad and I'll help run it, and I want to have a daughter who's just like me, and I'll join Healy Boosters and be the dance squad mom and help out during the Christmas Carnival and all of that.  I know what you are thinking.  So lame.  So small town.  But why is it lame?  Why is it lame to want to be in a place that feels safe to you and that you like?"

No comments:

Post a Comment