What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Saturday, March 29, 2014

3 is a magic number

Counting by 7s is one of the best books I have read this year.  So far, it is has been a pretty good year for books for me! 
This is one of those books, like Sure Signs for Crazy, that when you tell someone what it is about they think, "OH MY GOSH!  THAT IS WAY TOO DEPRESSING!" and with good reason.  In Counting by 7s, Willow Chance becomes and orphan in her tweens and she really has no place to go.  Plus, she is a really misunderstood kid, super-brilliant but totally misunderstood.  Plus, the only folks in her life are super-misunderstood adults, including a family that lives in the garage behind a nail salon.  But man, this book isn't depressing at all.  It is full of love and hope and told by Willow herself, who is a wonderful narrator.  Excellent.  Also, it has a couple of really great quotes.  "When you care about other people, it takes the spotlight off of your own drama."  I have no idea why.  Anyway, that is one of them.  There is another really good one about silence.  I need to find it.  Oh!  Here it is!  I found it through google books. Have you noticed that amazon don't have the "search inside" feature on as many books as it used to?  There are the "look inside" deals, but rarely is there the "search inside" option.  This made me very sad.  So I thought, why not try google books, and there it is!  So that is how I found this quote:  "And that is why the deepest form of pain comes out as silence."  I was thinking about all of the folks who suffer in silence.  Abused spouses and children was my first thought.  But a lot of other people, too. 
Oh, Three is a Magic Number is a great song. 

No comments:

Post a Comment