What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, April 17, 2014

Bits and Pieces

Chris Lynch writes about tough stuff.  Pieces is another tough one and very original.  Inexcusable was really good and was a National Book Award finalist.
Eric's older brother, Duane is killed in an accident and his organs are given to three very different people in need. 
Eric is still really grieving, as you can imagine.  A group affiliated with the organ donation process arranges opportunite for the donor's family to meet the folks who received "pieces" from their loved one.  Eric is willing to do this and meets the single mom who got Duane's kidney, a young, naive teen who received some part of Duane's ear and a fairly obnoxious guy with who now is giving Duane's liver a workout with a lot of partying. 
Duane's old girlfriend comes back into town, just hearing about Duane's death as she was doing humanitarian work out of the country. 
This book was good but it seemed to drag for me in some places. I just read that it is a sequel to the book Iceman.  Maybe I would have enjoyed it more had I read the first one.   But look at that cover!  Dude.  Wow.  Terrible. 
Still, a good book.  I ended up giving it four of five stars. 

No comments:

Post a Comment