What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, August 14, 2014

Hatchet Cannot be Compared to Johnny Tremain

I really loved Absolutely Almost.  It reminded me a bit of Sahara Special.  There is a lot of Newbery Buzz around Absolutely Almost.  As much as I loved this book, I will be incredibly aggravated.  Yes to Absolutely Almost and no to Sahara Special? What is going on here?  I think, sadly, it would be easy to see exactly what is going on.  Just like After Tupac and D Foster, One Crazy Summer and Elijah of Buxton. But there is no reason to complain now.  I will save that for later.  And I I do not want to take anything away from Absolutely Almost.  This was a great, great book about Albie, who is not a great student, not really an "average" student either.  He is a kid who has trouble in school.  Like so many kids.  Tiny spoiler:  his mom gets upset when it is discovered that he doesn't have dyslexia.  She would rather he had this very challenging learning disability than just be a regular kid who has trouble at school.

No comments:

Post a Comment