What's Going On Here?

There are SO MANY wonderful book review blogs out there and I can't compete with them, that is for sure. So this is not a book review blog. This is just a way for me to organize what I have read so that I can be better at matching the right book to the right person. The blog title comes from the brilliant mind of the most talented woman who ever lived, Ms. Judy Garland. The full quote is, "Always be a first-rate version of yourself, instead of a second-rate version of someone else." That is what I hope to do here and in ever aspect of my life.

Thursday, September 18, 2014

The Deep Thought Notebook and Pen

A couple of weeks ago my mom and I went down to the campus bookstore at my old school.  It was a grand time.  We spent a lot of money, but the two most important investments were the Deep Thought Notebook and the Pen.  I bought one of those binder things, with the Duquesne logo on it and a legal pad inside.  And the pen was $15 and has Duquesne's name on it.  The binder was about $25.  Now granted, that might be on the high end, monetarily for office supplies, but that is because only deep thoughts go into the book and these thoughts can only be written with deep thought pen. So this doesn't really qualify, but it is a little deep.

One of the plays that stuck with me from my high school years more than any other was Six Characters in Search of an Author from Naked Masks by Luigi Pirandello.   Maybe some other day I will babble on more about that, but for right now, as I write this, I think about the masks that we wear.  It is not to say that one mask is more authentic than another.  Indeed, each mask is ours.  And I don't think that we wear them as a form of deception either.  They are just different parts of who we are.  But when are we really our true self?  Is there one "true" self that each of us has?
For me, my core, my "true" self would be a child of the Living God.  I never feel worthy of that.  But I know that is what I am.  The other part of it is, you know the "no man is an island" deal.  Who am I when my mother looks at me?  When an old friend is with me?  A newer friend?  A stranger?
The most important part, is that the Living God shines in whatever I do.  I think as long as I keep trying, keep struggling to do that, the rest is all okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment